Saturday, November 23, 2013

LIFE Topic # 2: Citizen of the World-The grass is not greener on the other side of the fence

My beautiful Puerto Rico
Being from Puerto Rico I must say that politics and the political status of the island mold everything.  Given that fact, some would say that I'm definitely an irreverent independent due to the love I have for my country, others would say that I am pro-statehood because of many of the US-American customs and life styles that I use in my family and work life. Others would definitely say that I'm a mix of the best of both worlds, therefore I have to be pro-commonwealth. The reality is that I am a 100% proud "Boricua" but I love learning from other countries and cultures and I treasure the good things they also have to offer.  I've never understood the animosity towards the people that live outside of their countries. However, I can totally understand the feeling of seeing so many Boricuas that all of the sudden find everything wrong with the same culture that made them who they currently are.

I consider myself a citizen of the world. To me, it is  very difficult to understand why we can't love the good things that the entire world has to offer and reject those negative things any country has. It'd be so much easier and liberating being able to do that. I find it funny how people sometimes try to assimilate just to "fit in" and other people don't leave their status quo because if they did, they'd see themselves as traitors.


How incredible it is that one must always wear a label.  You are either pretty or ugly. You 're tall or short, fat or skinny, successful or unsuccessful .  You either stay in your country because you love it or you leave it because you don't like it. Well, at this stage of my life I don't see things as black or white. I've been labeled in one category or the other at different points in my life, so I don't really care that much what people think. Everything will depend on the circumstances. You value diversity and learn to respect different views. I think all cultures have things to improve but they also have good things to emulate.



When we decided to move to the United States in the late 90's, there were many things we had to learn (not only the language). We moved to a very rural area where there was no cultural diversity. Basically, the entire population was white people, people did not know where Puerto Rico was, much less they knew that Puerto Rico was a U.S. territory. 

To our surprise we were greeted with open arms.They were concerned to learn more about our country and they even asked my husband to speak at schools about Puerto Rico and its culture. However, the winter seasons were cruel (such as 30 degrees below zero) and detachment from our family and friends was hard to manage.  Living there was an enriching experience that I wouldn't trade for anything else. While I missed the sun, the beaches, and the hustle of the Caribbean cadence, I also enjoyed the peace, the connection with nature, and the kindness of the people who do not have much to do. This environment of little noise brings out the best in people. You enjoy every simple experience and you welcome it. It's amazing how we always say that progress will improve our lives. However, time has taught me that the only things that improve our life are love, the ability to adapt to change, the attitude towards change, and the perseverance to achieve what we want, despite of change.


I've always heard that one should not be changing jobs or places of residence too often because "on the

Our motto wherever we live
other side of the fence, the grass is not greener ." To some extent, that saying is true. No matter where you go human beings have the same needs, issues, uncertainties, desires, and experiences. It is our ego that makes us believe superior or inferior to other cultures. What I know for sure is that although grass is green on its original color, it will depend on its care and the environment to maintain that color. In drought, it starts to get orange, then yellow. During winter season, they can be crystallized from cold or disappear before the snow fall . The grass adapts to change in order to survive. So can we. We can enjoy the change learning to survive and make the best out of it.

When we experienced the 1997 ice storm that hit Upstate New York, my

Upstate NY '97 Ice Storm
husband and I had to adapt very quickly to living without electricity for several weeks. I was pregnant at that time and we had this fabulous fireplace which we thought was the perfect area to warm up and enjoy. Unfortunately, it became a nightmare during the ice storm  as every twenty minutes we had to fill it with charcoal to stay a little bit warm. The temperature inside the house was in the low 50s and we had to go to a shelter where the food was "terrible" and my pregnancy felt worse than terrible. Still, we adapted and we even managed to get a few laughs out of the whole situation.


My baby and I freezing
Three years we lived up there. I will always have unique memories of our stay in Upstate New York. We moved back to Puerto Rico and life took us back to the United States (this time to New Jersey). Yes, back to the United States, where the grass changes color , where you miss the Caribbean evergreen steadiness but where life also gives you the opportunity to being a citizen of the world and appreciating both.

1 comment:

  1. Te felicito Aixa por esa excelente reflexion.


    ReplyDelete