Tuesday, January 14, 2014

MYSELF # 3: TURKEY vs ITALY

At this point we all know that I am a coffee lover.  I spent the holidays in Puerto Rico where I had as much coffee as I could have had. Like I said on a prior blog post, I love my island coffee. I love its aroma and its sweet taste. However, coming back the the US, I decided to start a detox. I tried to suspend drinking coffee for a week. After a day or two, I had such a horrible headache that I decided that oh well....I am addicted to this drink, so it was not going to happen.


My husband's Baklava
My Turkish Coffee
The following week my husband invited me to a Turkish restaurant and the food was delicious. When the time came for the waitress to offer coffee to us, she asked if we wanted regular American or Turkish. I thought about it for a minute but I decided to try the Turkish coffee. What did my husband do? Forget about the coffee, he just wanted to order Baklava, so he went for the regular American.
  
 First, I have to say that they  serve the coffee in a very fancy fashion (I liked it a lot-so cute!). They serve it black and with the sugar already blended in. I tried it black first and the taste was very peculiar. The flavor is strong because it's not completely diluted. You can taste some of the grains. When I put some cream in it, it tasted lighter. Even though it looks like an espresso, it's not as strong. Its flavor and aroma aren't as strong either.



what my husband had
what I had
Since I was in such an "International" mode, we decided to visit Eataly in NYC. Eataly is a marketplace that is comprised of several Italian restaurants and markets. You can find a variety of coffee shops, bakeries, seafood, steak, fresh pasta, and any wine and produce you could imagine. At the end of my visit there I stopped by Lavazza, one of the several coffee locations they have. I tried an Espresso Macchiato Doppio. Oh my God! I truly think this coffee should be named after me. It was "heaven". Strong, tasty, flavorful, aromatic, and pure. 
What can I say? I love Turkish food but when it comes to coffee, I am a Puertorican first and then "Mamma Mia".... I have to be an Italian!  

No comments:

Post a Comment