Friday, January 10, 2014

MYSELF # 1: "Colando Café": Old Way of Making Coffee

My parents were both avid coffee drinkers. I never had coffee during my younger years but you can ask any of my relatives and they all remember my mom and my dad making and having a tiny cup of coffee two or three times a day.

The way they made their coffee was not anything fancy and much less they knew anything about "lattes", "tall or grande" sizes, or any of these grandiose combinations of flavors. It was a very raw process and they had it black without any sugar which in my country Puerto Rico is called "puya coffee".

Today was a cold morning here is the US-Northeast and since I am working from home, I was craving a cup of coffee. I thought of my parents and decided to demonstrate how they did it back in the old days (although I am incorporating some new tools, so I'm sorry for the puritans!). Here we go (by the way, back in the old days they didn't measure anything and I don't do it either, so bear with me):

Ingredients:
-Good Espresso Ground Coffee ( Yaucono** in this case) -Colador de Tela (Cloth Coffee Strainer)
-Cacerola (Small cooking pot)
-Frothing Pitcher (New Tool)
-Frother (New Tool)

Fill your small cooking pot with about 3/4 of a cup of water. Place the
cooking pot on high heat and wait until the water boils. Once the water is boiling, put enough ground coffee into the boiling water. Be careful because since the water is boiling, once you put the ground coffee in, it could overflow. Leave it in the pan and stir to completely mix for less than a minute. 

Once the water has blended with the coffee, place the coffee strainer into the coffee cup. Fill your cloth coffee strainer with the brewed coffee. Slowly lift the bag out of the cup, letting the coffee drain into the cup as you do.

Steam and froth the milk the way you like it. I personally like it very hot and frothed. Pour it into the coffee and voila!





Hope you enjoy it!!!
















2 comments:

  1. I'm going to try this. It does not seem too different from a press-pot preparation, so it hould be quite ok in taste. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try and let me know how it went. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete